Thursday, May 19, 2005

New computer

My SO's new computer arrived a few days ago, and now our living room looks geekier than ever:

Geek central

From left to right in the picture above are Arashi (running Linux), Cecil, Nakago, and Samwise. [Quiz: who knows where each of these names came from?]

Samwise's monitor stand is indeed composed of old textbooks; O-chem has never been more useful. Nakago is the oldest Windows box, and will likely be shut down once we're done moving files, meaning that we'll be back to our usual three computers for two people.

And what's even cooler is how the setup looks at 2am with all the room lights turned off:

Computers at night
The view we woke up to this morning

1 comment:

Radagast said...

Importing comments:

Tacticus
Tacticus

i think i must be a chronic geek 2 linux boxs in the lounge room (ones a laptop) mother has 3 computers (work laptop her laptop and a desktop) sister has her desktop and same with my father, then there is the 2 machines in my room and 3 servers in the shed plus the box i was just repairing (win me is evil)
July 23, 2005, 2:51:54 AM PDT – Like – Reply

Radagast
We like working next to each other, and thus prefer to have all our machines in the same room, and we don't have wireless, though that's largely because we don't have a laptop.

On the same note as PZ, at times we'll chat with each other over IM, though for us that means IMing while sitting right next to each other.
May 19, 2005, 9:12:43 AM PDT – Like – Reply

Orac
Yikes? And I thought I was geeky, with two computers (my wife and I each use one bedroom in a four-bedroom house as our personal office) and a laptop (from which I frequently blog over the wireless network while watching TV). You take the cake.
May 19, 2005, 7:06:03 AM PDT – Like – Reply

PZ Myers
We must be stealth geeks. We've got 6 computers humming away in the house, but they're scattered all over and connected by a wireless network.

I call the kids to dinner with IM.
May 19, 2005, 5:52:49 AM PDT – Like – Reply

lambic
When we lived in a condo we had a similar setup. Happily now that we're in a house, and with the advent of wi-fi, I can spread things out a bit. Only my Powerbook is left in the living room. My SO has her Windows computer in the office and the two Linux PCs are hidden away in the basement.
May 19, 2005, 5:44:06 AM PDT