Saturday, May 06, 2006

Some weekend technology reading

This weekend my life is dedicated to grading. As I said on Wednesday, I have a huge backlog of papers, and I have to get through them by next week (so I can be ready for the next deluge of papers). So, there won't be much from me until that's done.

However, to keep everyone happy, here are a few technology articles (via BoingBoing):

The RFID Hacking Underground: A Wired article on how insecure most RFID chips are (including ones used in keycards, libraries, payment services, and even those implanted in humans).

You're the Bad Guy Here: Another Wired article, but this time discussing how Muslims are modding games so that the Americans are the bad guys and Muslims are the good guys.

Battlefield 2 ordinarily shows U.S. troops engaging forces from China or a united Middle East coalition. But in a modified video trailer posted on Islamic websites and shown to lawmakers, the game depicts a man in Arab headdress carrying an automatic weapon into combat with U.S. invaders.

"I was just a boy when the infidels came to my village in Blackhawk helicopters," a narrator's voice said as the screen flashed between images of street-level gunfights, explosions and helicopter assaults.


[Update: BoingBoing reports that the games described in the second article may be a hoax.]

No comments: