Saturday, March 11, 2006

Ooooh, toys!

We've gotten a lot of fun deliveries in the past couple of weeks; now that I've submitted my grant, I can actually start playing with them:
  • Spiders of North America: An identification manual - This tremendously cool book contains keys to all the genera of spiders found in the continental US and Canada. This is no wimpy field guide; it's two and a half pounds of technical drawings, precise keys, and cool biology. Using this book one should be able to identify any spider found in North America down to genus. Drool.
  • Borror and DeLong's Introduction to the Study of Insects: 7th edition - If it's an insect, it's probably in here; this book has nearly 600 pages dedicated to describing all the orders of insects (including keys to all the families of insects found in the continental US and Canada) . This book is a classic; why I've never gotten around to buying a personal copy of it before baffles me.
  • Penny Arcade's Attack of the Bacon Robots - An anthology of Penny Arcade's comics from 1998-2000. I've already sneaked in a bit of time to read this one, and while Gabe's art is very different from his current style, it's still the same hilarious strip. And, unlike many comic anthologies, Tycho has also added commentary on every strip.
  • From Eroica with Love vol. 6 - The latest volume of a classic manga that my SO and I have been reading for a while now. (as a side note, these last two were Valentine's Day presents for my SO; I'm such the romantic.)
  • Firefly: The Complete Series DVD box set - I'll finally get to watch the series I've heard so much about.
Can we say, "Geek"?

No comments: