Sunday, May 23, 2004

In-class response system evaluation data

As promised, last week I asked my students what they thought of the in-class response system that we've been using this semester (EduCue's PRS system). I've previously discussed the positives and negatives of the system, as well as how I've been using the system in class. Here are the data:

How much did you like having the PRS transmitters in this class?
Liked them a lot 51%
Somewhat liked them 35%
Neutral 6%
Somewhat disliked them 4%
Disliked them a lot 4%


If you had a choice, would you have preferred this class use or not use the PRS system?
Greatly prefer the class with the transmitters 55%
Somewhat prefer the class with the transmitters 23%
Neutral – either way is fine 15%
Somewhat prefer the class without the transmitters 3%
Greatly prefer the class without the transmitters 4%


Do you feel that the in-class response system helped you understand the topics covered in this class?
Helped a lot 56%
Helped a little 31%
It didn't help or hurt 11%
Hindered learning a little 1%
Hindered learning a lot 1%


Did the in-class response system help you stay involved/interested/awake in lecture?
Helped a lot 56%
Helped a little 32%
It didn't help or hurt 7%
Hindered a little 3%
Hindered a lot 2%


Would you like other instructors to use the PRS system? For this question, assume that you would not have to buy a new transmitter or pay anything more.
I definitely want other instructors to use the system 59%
I somewhat want other instructors to use the system 20%
I’m neutral – no preference 16%
I somewhat don’t want other instructors to use the system 2%
I definitely don’t want other instructors to use the system 3%


Would you like other instructors to use the PRS system? For this question, assume that you would have to buy a new transmitter or pay an additional registration fee.
I definitely want other instructors to use the system 10%
I somewhat want other instructors to use the system 18%
I’m neutral – no preference 13%
I somewhat don’t want other instructors to use the system 13%
I definitely don’t want other instructors to use the system 45%

The survey was done in class this past Tuesday using the PRS system, though I ensured every student without a transmitter was able to turn in responses as well. The survey was conducted in the middle of a lecture and was completely anonymous; students saw me select the "anonymous, do not record individual IDs" feature on-screen before starting the survey and were invited to trade transmitters with their neighbors if they desired. Sample sizes ranged from 103-112 students answering each question.

I'm very pleased with these results; I could hardly have hoped for better, especially considering this is the first semester I've used the units. To summarize a few of the highlights:
  • 86% of students liked that the class used the in-class response system
  • 79% of students would prefer that the class use the transmitters, a sizeable number considering that they each spent $15-$40 to acquire them.
  • 88% of students felt the system helped them learn the material; the same number also felt the system helped them pay attention in class better. I'm only half-joking when I say I don't think my lectures as a whole would be scored this high ...
  • 79% of students would like other instructors to use the system if they didn't have to buy additional units, but if they had to buy additional units, most students (59%) would not want other instructors to use the system.
The last point is a possibly important one for choosing which system to adopt because I've been told that some manufacturers of in-class response systems charge a per-semester registration fee for students to use the transmitters, even though the students purchase their own transmitters (usually for less than EduCue's system). I've heard this about eInstruction's system as sold through McGraw Hill, but haven't been able to confirm it.

I hope to post a grand summary of how things went this semester, but now is not the time. I've spent all day writing my final exam, grading papers, and soaking in the spa, so I'm wiped out. Additionally, I've got a handful of students questioning their in-class response system grades, so we'll have to see how that gets resolved.

No comments: