Thursday, November 10, 2005

Attempting to keep everyone happy ...

My department has been filled with turmoil in the past week. I can't go into details, but suffice to say that I'm very quickly learning what it means to be chair: everyone wants to talk to me, and everyone wants me to adopt their views as my own. Unfortunately, when a vast majority of the department wants one thing, but a very vocal minority wants another, things become "interesting".

The most frustrating thing for me personally is that all of this turmoil is taking away from my teaching. In the past week I've had almost no time to prep: papers aren't getting graded, and my lectures have slipped into being virtually identical to what I gave last semester. Even when I sit down to do grading or lecture prep, I often get distracted by departmental events.

By Wednesday I was exhausted. When I arrived home I told my SO that I'd be ready to head out and help with an errand in a few minutes; I promptly lay down on the couch and fell asleep for the next four and a half hours.

No comments: