Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Recipes and Echinoderms: what more could you want?

My hits have increased by more than 50% in the past few days, thanks almost exclusively to searches for recipes. This motivated me to do some checking, and I'm surprisingly highly ranked for some things: I'm in the top 10 for creamed spinach, creamed brussels sprouts, mashed turnips, and cranberry/pineapple/raspberry gelatin salad. In addition, I'm #1 for how to make homemade butter with reddi whip (no, I don't know how to do that; I'd start with regular heavy cream, personally).

You know you blog about diverse topics when searches for "creamed spinach" and "mashed turnips" bracket things like "torture prisoners" and "why are echinoderms important". No good invertebrate-focused biologist could ever leave that last question unanswered, so here goes:
  1. They have a very cool water vascular system.
  2. They have mutable connective tissue, meaning they can dynamically vary the rigidity of their skeleton.
  3. They're deuterostomes, meaning that their embryonic development is very similar to chordate (e.g., human, bird) development, and thus they're useful for developmental-biology research.
  4. Many are keystone species in intertidal and marine communities.
  5. They're terribly cute, what with their tube feet and all.

1 comment:

Radagast said...

Importing comments:

Radagast
Sigh.

Sadly, I've never cooked any echinoderms, and to my knowledge have only eaten sea urchin roe once or twice on sushi (I'm not a big roe fan). So, no echinoderm recipes coming anytime soon.
November 23, 2005, 11:50:25 AM PST – Like – Reply

PZ Myers
You do realize that this demands an echinoderm recipe, don't you?

Uni, maybe?
November 23, 2005, 4:31:51 AM PST