Sunday, June 06, 2004

Recent Food

It's been a very food-filled past few days, as my SO and I have finally had time to do some good cooking. I just started some chicken etoufee, which is now simmering on the stove and tempting both of our noses with the scents of browned chicken, onions, garlic, peppers, and cajun spices all in a dark roux. When it's done in half an hour I'll be ecstatic.

In the past few days we've also had some other great food, including some of my mom's classic crab dip on fresh ciabatta and homemade chocolate chip cookies. The cookies are some of the best I've had, as each cookie is made from a heaping 1/4 cup of dough and is soft and chewy throughout, even after baking. We also made a good bacon tomato pasta sauce a few days ago, though it wasn't anything unique.

Both my SO and I enjoy cooking, and when I'm off in the summer we will often spend hours in the kitchen. If I had a specialty it'd be baking: breads, muffins, biscuits, scones, etc., and my SO's specialty is making white sauces, sweets, and improvisational cooking based on what we've got around. We almost never cook alone, though, and I cherish our time together in the kitchen.

Since we enjoy cooking so much we're both baffled by folks who don't spend time cooking; the rewards of cooking a good meal are vastly worth the time.

Well the timer has gone off and it's time for me to get back to the chicken etoufee (my SO just picked some scallions from the yard and is chopping them as I type).

No comments: