Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Stumbling into that minefield was sure fun ...

I have gotten some good fun out of reading the digg comments on my Windows vs. Ubuntu piece; there are currently about a hundred-some of them. As with comments on any site like /., I recommend reading them for entertainment value only.

What's particularly amusing about the comments is how contradictory they are. Many people (probably Windows supporters) are saying things like
  • "This is abysmally biased and inaccurate." or
  • "This article was very biased, it was the users first time installing Windows XP, and they seemed like they've used Ubuntu before."
while others (probably Linux supporters) are commenting on how much of an obvious Linux novice I am, saying things like
  • "Move home directory to new partition ... That cant take more than 30 secounds?" and
  • "Why did he even do that [move the home directory to /data]? He should have just created/used a partition just for /home.He could have done that at install time. At any rate....that isn't a problem someone else would have and shouldn't be included in the time."
It's amazing how stating facts (yes, those are the actual times it took me to install things, and no, I'm not lying) can get people so worked up.

Of course, what's also interesting about the comments that I'm "obviously biased" is that nowhere in the piece do I conclude that one operating system is better than the other. All I'm doing is reporting the time it took me to get (what I consider to be) a fully functioning operating system (/ computer). I just explained what I did and let people draw their own conclusions based on the data presented. If you think that an OS that installs in half the time (for one user on one machine) is inherently superior, well, OK. Personally, I think other factors should come into the equation.

Oh, and I can't help but share my favorite comment of all from digg:
this felt like one of those fake articles you see in the paper that have 'advertising feature' written above it in small letters.
Categories:

1 comment:

Radagast said...

Importing comments:

Ashish C.
Oops sorry! (Sorry for commenting twice as well) I meant I ordered a Kubuntu CD from Shipit. I'll be upgrading the RAM for it.
June 28, 2006, 5:55:08 AM PDT – Like – Reply

Ashish C.
People can be weird at times. I may like a burger but you may like pizza. Its all about different choices isn't it?

Some want a normal functionality from an os, others advanced, others graphics and so on and so their views will be different. Your post according to me was a normal users comparison of installing with ubuntu and Win XP.

Everyone's got different machines and so the times will be different for everyone. So which is the best Ubuntu or Win XP? To me I"ll take anything that works and keeps me happy!

P.S. Thnx for the tip about Xubuntu. Ordered a free cd since i'm on a gprs dial-up connection. Thnx.
June 28, 2006, 5:52:29 AM PDT