Sunday, October 24, 2004

Lassi

For this week's end-of-the-week recipe blogging, I thought I'd change pace and do something a bit simpler - an Indian yogurt drink called lassi. I've had it many times in Indian restaurants, but only made it at home for the first time yesterday, and both my SO and I loved it. The lassi is creamy, cold, and refreshing, which should make it perfect for those nice cool fall days that are approaching (oh, wait ...)

1.5 cups whole-milk plain yogurt (we use Trader Joe's "Cream Line")
6 tablespoons sugar
10 ice cubes (~1/2 lb.)

1. Mix yogurt and sugar together in a blender.
2. Add ice cubes, and blend until well combined (~1/2 minute).
3. Serve.

I told you it was easy.

Other recipes (that are likely more authentic) can be found on the Wikipedia, among other places.

Recipe modified from: Sahni, Julie 1980. Classic Indian Cooking. William Morrow & Co, NY.

1 comment:

Radagast said...

Importing comments:

Prashant Mullick
Prashant Mullick
Visit me on...
prashantmullick.com

My mom used to make Lassi without a blender.

She used a spoon or a egg beater (non-electrical) to whip up the yogurt with water.

I'm sure I remember it turning out just as frothy and smooth although you have to whip it quite vigorously.
October 25, 2004, 9:05:24 PM PDT – Like – Reply

Radagast
Sya: Yeah, I guess that would make things harder. Kind of like trying to make a meringue before electric mixers.

Prashant: I've only had salted lassi once, and because I thought I'd ordered a sweet lassi, I was quite unpleasantly surprised. Maybe I'll have to try it again ...
October 25, 2004, 12:22:04 PM PDT – Like – Reply

sya
Yes, it looks extremely easy. Unless you don't have a blender.
October 25, 2004, 10:30:29 AM PDT – Like – Reply

Prashant Mullick
Sweet Lassi is the best, though a lot of people tend to also refer the salted kind.

Add a little salt and some cumin powder instead of sugar.
October 24, 2004, 2:05:52 PM PDT