Sunday, December 04, 2005

The first real project

We visited Jo-Ann Fabrics both yesterday and today; they now have more of our money, but we have small bits of cool fabrics with which we can practice sewing. Our largest (by length) purchase was a few yards of muslin, which was cheap enough that we don't mind destroying it while we learn how to use our new sewing machine.

After practicing on some muslin, we decided to try making some miniature board shorts. My SO found a pattern and did the cutting, I did all the sewing, and we both used more spatial reasoning than we expected to. Eight hours later we had our finished product:

Mini board shorts Mini board shorts
Our complete mini board shorts!

My back is sore from hunching over the sewing machine, but I now know a heck of a lot more about sewing than I did this morning, and I have a lot more respect for the work that went into the clothes I wear on a daily basis (they have so much stitching in them!)

No comments: